History

The Georgetown Public Library was established and founded in 1899 by the Georgetown New Century Club. The first library was housed on the second floor of the Lacey Building. In 1926, the Club moved to West Pine Street and dedicated a separate room for the library. The building on West Pine Street was the culmination of an eleven year dream of the building fund committee. The club had started their building fund with 82 cents that Miss Julia Burton earned from sales of her garden plants! The West Pine Street building was renovated in the early 1980’s.

As of 2010, the library is now located at 123 West Pine Street in downtown Georgetown, Delaware. The new library is 29,400 square feet. We have a book collection size of over 30,000. We now have a modern, attractive and convenient full-service library.